3/4 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C whole-wheat flour
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 C low-fat buttermilk
1/2 C oat bran
1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
2 T vegetable oil
1 large egg or egg substitute
1-1/2 C peeled, cored, and finely chopped Golden Delicious apples
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease twelve 3-inch muffin cups or line with paper liners.
2. In large bowl, combine both flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In medium bowl, beat low-fat buttermilk, oat bran, brown sugar, oil, and egg (or egg substitute) until blended.
4. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Fold in apples.
5. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan 5 minutes; remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Washington Apple Commission.